Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Welcome Bess McBride

Social worker Jenny Cussler has a number of Native American veterans in her caseload and is attracted to their culture. When given the opportunity to attend a weeklong awareness camp on a reservation high in the mountains, she is eager despite the distance from her established city life.

Clint Hastings, a presenter at the camp, has no intention of straying outside his race for a relationship. But this perky redhead captivates his attention and constantly needs rescuing — when she’s not rescuing him from the clutches of the woman he managed to evade a year ago and who’s back stalking him again.Clint soon loses his heart, while Jenny is charmed but realizes how little they have in common. In the real world away from the mountain, there might not be a happy-ever-after ending. Is she ready to trade her pavement-bound existence for the reservation? Or would he be willing to give up his chosen lifestyle?




And now for the interview...
I'm very excited to have Bess McBride joining me today!

Q: Tell me a little bit about yourself. What do you do for fun?

Hmmm...  Fun.  Well, I love to travel.  So, if I’m not traveling in the United States or in Europe, I’m planning a trip somewhere...which is half the fun.  Hence the name of my blog “Will Travel for Romance.”  ;-)  Some people know this and some people don’t, but in the spring of 2009, I shucked it all—job, house, furniture—bought an RV, told my significant other we were going (okay, not all that easily), and crisscrossed the country for the next few years living full-time in the RV.  I worked summers at Glacier National Park (ranger hat and all), and wintered on the Gulf Coast and wrote books.  I left “the road” because I wanted to return to work so I could have more money to see my grandchildren, but I really long to return to the life.  Maybe six months of the year this time though!

 Q: What do you like most about the genre you write in?

I write in a variety of different genres—contemporary, light paranormal fantasy (lovelorn ghosty stuff a la “Ghost and Mrs. Muir”), romantic suspense, and time travel.  Time travel is my favorite, but sometimes when I start a time travel, a different story emerges, and I feel I have to follow the story rather than try to mold it to my wishes.  Not that I haven’t tried!  J  I love time travels because I love the juxtaposition of modern and historic, whether the time traveler comes forward or goes back in time.  It is challenging though...for historical accuracy if nothing else.

Q: Where is your favorite place to write?

My bedroom.  I always have an oversize easy chair that I can plop into.  In October, my new house was finally finished, and I have a sitting room in my bedroom that looks out over a river.  How fabulous is that???  It’s the reason I bought the house!

Q: What’s your next project?

A time travel.  I’m just at this moment starting it—I mean, I just wrote Chapter One yesterday.  I thought I might set it in the small town in which I live (I’m not originally from the area), with the river playing a key “character” as do many of my landscapes, but I’m finding very little in the way of historical documentation in this little town.  It’s out there, just not on the Internet, so I’m off to the local library to borrow one of two books on the area.  The hardest question to answer right now is...did the river look the way it did in the late 1800s or early 1900s (my favorite time travel eras)?

Q: How do you feel about Dr. Pepper? 

I quite drinking caffeinated drinks in 1998 because I thought they were making me temperamental.  However, when I was a 14 yo teenager, my best friend, Candy, and I, used to scrounge around in her house and back yard for change people dropped, and she and I would head down to our favorite Mexican restaurant (on foot), and order up a cheese crisp and two Dr. Peppers.  I also drank Dr. Peppers with my tacos from Taco Bell.  Dr. Pepper will forever be associated with Mexican food to me!  J

Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Lisa, and thanks for the questions.  

Thanks for being here, Bess. I loved having you!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me today, Lisa! Gorgeous blog!

    Bess McBride

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming! I would love a sitting room that looked over a river. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Bess! Time travel romances are my favorite, too! My second time travel romance will be coming out next month.

    We have an RV, too, but I couldn't imagine living in it for more than a weekend. lol

    I'm not much of a soft drink person, but I remember drinking Dr. Pepper when I was younger. It has a unique taste. And your writing space sounds fabulous!

    Best of luck with your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to do the travel-six-months thing, only I want my house to come back to and I don't think I'd like an RV, either. I wonder how six-months-in Hampton Inns would be...

    Fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Susan, thanks for stopping by. You're such a great support. I couldn't imagine living in an RV when I had a 21 footer, but a 39 footer worked out nicely...for living. Not so much for hauling down the road when we had to crisscross the U.S. twice a year.

    Bess

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Liz! Thanks for stopping by. Ya know? The thing about RVs is that you sleep on your own sheets and bedspreads, not a hotels. I've read so much about hotels that I'm very nervous about the sheets and quilts... :-)

    At this point, I'd like to have a house to come back to as well, and some folks do that!

    Bess

    ReplyDelete