Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Next Big Thing...

I’ve been tagged by the amazing Jen Blood and also Donna Michaels as part of The Next Big Thing Blog Hop - thanks, Jen and Donna! In turn, I'm tagging three of my favorite writing chums - Melissa Snark, Danyel McDaniel, and Casse NaRome. With a little luck, you'll be able to read about their own 'next big things' next week on December 5th.

So, what IS all this about a Next Big Thing? Well, here's all about mine.




What is the working title of your book?

Curse of the Voodoo Queen

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I was reading reviews of Curse of the Egyptian Goddess (Get it FREE on Smashwords) and some people said they'd like more from those characters. As soon as I seriously considered it, the story took shape in my mind faster than I could control. I'm very excited about the new series. Yes, that's right, I said series and three of them are nearly written!

What genre does your book fall under?

Romantic comedy. 

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?


For Calvin, I would choose Chase Crawford.








For Cleo, I would choose Danielle Harris.


What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

When Cleo falls head first into another curse, Calvin follows, but now they must figure out how to break it or they might never get their happily ever after.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I believe I'm going to self-publish this series. I liked having the freedom to be as naughty as I wanted. Calvin and Cleo's relationship has been hot from the beginning and that doesn't change in this book. *smile*

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

About a month.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

It compares with rom-com's that have a paranormal or urban fantasy twist.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

My inspiration came from the things I've always been interested in--magic, curses, the unexplained, etc.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

How about the first two paragraphs:

The two guys beside me could have been dead. The one in the aisle seat wore shades and sat as stiff as a rail. Dressed in a blue suit, his shoes and the cuff of his pants were coated in dried mud. The one next to me wore long jean shorts and a touristy flowered shirt. He sat with headphones on and his eyes closed as if he were praying. Neither dressed like they spent any time in the Wisconsin snow from which I’d just escaped.
           Ignoring them, I tucked my journal into my purse and leaned against the window to look out at the clouds. My mind immediately drifted to my special night with Calvin. We’d be in a modest hotel room, and the lights would be off. Candlelight would illuminate his hard muscles as he stood across the room from me. We’d been apart since sixteen, two years, but if he looked anything like he did in our last lives at twenty, I would not be disappointed. I’d be wearing a short white lace negligee I’d brought. He’d stare in awe and tell me I looked beautiful. Then I’d step toward him and… 



So there is the beginning of 'Curse of the Voodoo Queen' which is the sequel to 'Curse of the Egyptian Goddess.' I hope you enjoyed it and are looking forward to seeing it finished as much as I am! 

It's fun, it's hot, and it's about discovering what's important in life. 

Thanks for stopping by. It was great to share this with you all. If you'd like to find out more about my work, be sure to check out my website here.

Lisa Rayns

No comments:

Post a Comment